The Real Story on BBC World Service is where “Global experts and decision makers discuss, debate and analyse a key news story.”
At the end of May 2020, as the
Space X Dragon Capsule took astronauts to the International Space Station, I had the privilege to join a brilliant panel to discuss “The privatisation of space travel.”
I learned a lot from my fellow presenters and thought this was a brilliant broadcast – now available as a podcast. See
The Real Story- The privatisation of space travel to listen or download this 53 minute programme.
– Former astronaut and NASA Administrator 2009-2017 Charles Bolden
– Academic, London School of Economics and Political Science Dr Jill Stuart
– Founder and lead of the MIT Media Lab’s Space Exploration Initiative Ariel Ekblaw
– Emeritus Professor at George Washington University and on the Board of Directors at the Planetary Society John Logsdon
– Senior Associate Dean for Leadership Studies at the Yale School of Management Jeffrey Sonnenfeld
Dr Jill Stuart is an academic based at the London School of Economics and Political Science. She is an expert in the politics, ethics and law of outer space exploration and exploitation. She is a frequent presence in the global media (print, radio, television, documentary) and regularly gives lectures around the world. From 2013-2017 she was Editor in Chief of the Elsevier journal Space Policy where she remains on the Editorial Board. She is also on the Board of Advisors of METI International, conducting scientific research into messaging potential extraterrestrial intelligence. She is one of an elite number of people to be endorsed by the UK Home Office as an Exceptional Talent Migrant/ World Leader in her Field. In 2015 she was awarded the prestigious Margaret Mead Award Lecture by the British Science Association in recognition of her cutting edge research. She is trained in both domestic and international mediation and has done consultancy work for the International Criminal Court and the International Court of Justice. She has a sub-specialism in women, peace and security and gender based violence. She is a Trustee of Luton All Women’s Centre.